Climate One from the Commonwealth Club
POSITION TITLE: Content Producer
REPORTS TO: Executive Producer
Climate One is the premier platform for the conversation about climate disruption. Through our podcast, national radio show, and live convenings for thought leaders and concerned members of the public, we create opportunities for dialogue, exchange, and reflection that deepen understanding and catalyze solutions.
We envision a world where a clear-eyed awareness of the climate crisis shapes decisions ranging from personal behavior to public policy and where the full spectrum of humanity’s wisdom, talent, and expertise is marshaled toward the wellbeing of all life on Earth.
The Content Producer is responsible for editing, packaging and distributing Climate One’s podcast, video and web content across multiple channels. This position is first and foremost a content manager, responsible for maintaining a high level of production value throughout the podcast and radio production process, from concept through to publishing.
Climate One is based in San Francisco at The Commonwealth Club of California, a non-profit and non-partisan public forum. The Content Producer can be based anywhere and is expected to work in San Francisco a few weeks a year to build team cohesion.
Status: Salaried, Exempt
Schedule: Full time.
Salary/Compensation: $55,000 to $72,000.
Full health, dental, and vision benefits, and 401K plan with 4% employer match.
We’re building a workplace where collaboration is essential, diverse voices are heard, and inclusion is the key to our success. We are seeking a motivated and talented producer who will help shape the most important conversation of our time, and help us lift up underrepresented voices.
Production Process Management:
- Oversee speaker booking: research and identify expert voices, schedule interviews, and maintain a diverse speaker database that will build our position as the premier platform for climate conversations.
- Track and manage audio production process, including overseeing timelines and calendars, transfer of audio assets between editors, and podcast review and publishing.
- Collaborate with the Executive Producer in conducting topic background research, developing interview angles/story, drafting interview questions, reading books, and helping build scripts.
- Manage external content partners (freelancers and guest hosts), including giving direction and feedback on audio pieces such as news montages, timelines, personal narratives, and field reporting.
- Draft program copy for Climate One’s weekly podcast and radio program. Draft and edit speaker bios, titles, and program scripts.
Media Platform Management:
- Manage digital infrastructure improvements for web, audio and video to refine Climate One's new "media-first" focus.
- Maintain Climate One’s website, including posting weekly speaker, image, podcast, video and event updates. Work with video editors to refine Climate One’s video strategy in service of the podcast and radio program.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field preferred.
- Media experience in public radio or podcast production preferred. Experience editing copy, images and other content elements for radio, the web and other platforms.
- Demonstrated project management skills. Must be highly organized and able to independently manage and collaborate with freelance editors, reporters, and internal staff.
- Extensive knowledge of climate issues ranging from finance, transportation, energy, policy, environmental justice and other domains.
- Excellent written communications. Expertise in the editing and packaging of written and audio content for sophisticated general audiences.
- Skilled at working independently with limited direction, as well as with others as part of a team.
- Ability to work well under pressure while juggling different types of media with varied production schedules.
- Required technical proficiencies: Desktop-based software; knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Google Drive, and content management systems. The ideal candidate will also possess knowledge of Drupal, Adobe Creative Suite, Dropbox, Google Docs, and basic HTML.
Minimum of three years of experience in broadcast journalism, with at least two years experience in climate-related fields of energy, environment, food, water, transportation or other sustainability field.
Interested candidates should submit a single PDF attachment that includes the following:
1) Cover letter
3) A writing sample
Please send application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Content Producer”.
Application deadline: Open until filled
Inclusion and respect are core values of Climate One from The Commonwealth Club. We have a small team that enjoys working together and is treated fairly. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that is keen to have a diverse workforce and we encourage individuals of color, LGBTQ and women to apply.
Thank you in advance for your interest in Climate One. Due to the volume of applicants, only candidates who will be invited to interview will be contacted.